I Believe Family Comes First

Lucas - Burr Ridge, Illinois

I Believe Family Comes First

Every year the majority of American families spend less time together. This is not the case for my family and I. Every Sunday, without exception, is all family. No matter what huge, fabulous event may be going on, it does not matter. I will be spending the day with my family, and the funny part of this whole thing is that I love it.

My school days begin at either 6 or 7 a.m., with morning practice or without, I am at school for eight hours and then off to afternoon practice, that may be wrestling, baseball or football. These last around three to four hours; once I get home it is around seven p.m. I start my homework, which averages about 3 hours ending my day at 10 or 11. You can see there is no time for my family during the week. Weekends are even tougher, on Saturday games and tournaments start very early in the morning and usually end back at the school around 6 or 7 pm., and then I visit with friends. This is why my family decided a few years back to impose a rule that Sunday’ would be strictly family days.

Family days consist of waking up around 9 a.m. and going to church. Then it’s off to breakfast, normally at Moondance Diner. The balance of the day can vary in location but the content is the same. Whether we are at our home or at my grandma and grandpa’s, we are having a nice brunch and playing board or card games and watching movies all day.

Many kids these days have busy lives as I do, but I don’t think a lot of them are making time to spend with their families. A lot of my friends tell me that they save their homework for Sunday or go out with friends. I don’t believe that it is fair to live your life in the same home with your family and never spend any time together, enjoying one another.

In my life every event, be it good or bad, has been shared with my family. Our Sundays have proven to be the fabulous event that we all look forward to all week. If you are just passing time and space with your family in the same home then you are not learning to appreciate them. This is why I am sure that Sunday’s will always be the day that family comes first.