I believe in the Power of Working Out

Jessica - Syracuse, New York

I believe in the power of working out.

For me, there is nothing more soothing than a fall row at 6:30 in the morning on the Erie Canal. You put your boat on the water, just as the sun is coming up to start a new day. There is a fog hovering just above the water as you row through it, and the air is crisp and smells of foliage and the early morning dew. You row for an hour straight, taking off the layers of clothing you bundled up in before you got there. When you’re rowing, you forget about all of your worries and all of the stresses of the world around you. Nothing else matters but the synchronization of the boat and making it go as fast as you can. All you can really focus on is your heart beat, controlling your breathing and maintaining good form when you start to get tired. I know that when I’m having troubles with school, family or friends, once I get on the water; I don’t think twice about it.

For another girl, a long hard run at the gym might be the mental get away she needs from the boyfriend she just had an argument with. She may throw in a couple punches into the air for… a little extra upper body workout.

For a boy, hitting the weights might be the de-stressing method he needs to forget about the loss of his favorite sports team. When something doesn’t pan out the way we want it, feeling the burn of a good weight training session and adding in a couple loud grunts as you push you’re way through, helps to get rid of some of the tension and anger.

In any event, I believe that working out gives people the ability to take control of a portion of their life, which makes them feel good about themselves. In taking control of one’s life and creating a workout routine, you teach yourself a form of discipline. Just getting yourself to the gym at any one time is an accomplishment in itself, and setting out a schedule to do it repeatedly and actually doing it is something to be proud of. I know from my experience that when that alarm goes off at 6 in the morning, the thought of pressing snooze and going back to sleep is something I struggle with EVERY day; but then I realize that the great feeling I will get once the workout is done is something I want to have.

Working out gives people a sense of optimism; every day, working out gets easier as you progress and the results become more and more prevalent as time goes on. However, it also teaches humility; for any one person, they can adjust the level of intensity and duration of the workout. On any given day, they may go harder or easier, depending on how they feel. People will have good days and bad days, and they may reach boundaries and obstacles that they will need to work at to push through.

Since the beginning of time, working out has been around; even when the cavemen were running from wooly mammoths they were working out- running to get faster as a means to stay alive. In the middle ages the Romans, Greeks and Indians worked out and trained because combat and wars were a regular occurrence. Now a days, working out has been turned into something that people do to feel good about themselves; whether it has a physical or mental reason, a feeling of self worth and appreciation comes from working out.

I believe in sneaks, sweats, mesh shorts, sports bras, tanks and a water bottle. It doesn’t matter who you are; tall, short, thick, thin, athletic or awkward there is a workout for everyone.