I Believe In Atheism

Sean - Niskayuna, New York
Themes: atheism

I believe that creationists are right about one thing. They are completely correct in saying that the theory of evolution is corrosive to religion. I would add, however, that the practice of religion is corrosive and detrimental to science, and therein lies the problem.

The very word “atheist” has such a negative connotation that, when Christians hear it, their insides shrivel up and they shudder, thinking that atheism instills propensities to commit grand larceny and deal crack cocaine to elementary school children, among other things. To the contrary, atheism is simply the disbelief in the existence of god. Biologist Richard Dawkins acutely observes that “We are all atheists about most of the gods that humanity has ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further.” I personally do not believe in god for the same reason that I do not believe in the tooth fairy or the easter bunny or the flying spaghetti monster for that matter; it simply does not make scientific sense.

Religious people accept trivial, nonsensical, and ridiculous misinformation instead of embracing the beauty and wonder of science. Religion teaches people to submit to authority and tradition instead of demanding for reason, evidence, and explanation.

Many atheists believe that we should keep to ourselves and not try to convert others to our beliefs and I used to believe that too until I had a startling revelation. On August 27, 1987, journalist Robert Sherman asked George Bush Senior, “Surely you recognize the equal citizenship and patriotism of Americans who are Atheists?” Bush infamously replied, “No, I don’t know that Atheists should be considered as citizens, nor should they be considered patriots. This is one nation under God.” American politicians continue to discount the importance of atheists despite the fact that atheism is the second largest religious demographic in America, numbering over 30 million people and far exceeding the total number of practitioners of all other religions except for Christianity. Interestingly, atheism is almost universally accepted among the American Intelligencia. Of the 43 studies designed to investigate this controversial topic, spanning a timeframe from the 1920s to the present day, all but four of them found an inverse relationship between religious belief and intelligence. In other words, people who are more intelligent are less likely to believe in god. When investigating scientists elected to The National Academy of Sciences, the most elite scientific institution in America, researchers found that a mere 7% expressed belief in a personal god. These facts point to a stark contrast between the beliefs of the American electorate and intelligencia. To put it bluntly, in the greatest country in the world, religion destroys political opportunities for those who are both intelligent and honest; and I believe that we need to do something about that.