I Believe in Food as An Outlet for Emotions

Frances - LaGrange, Illinois

It was the worst day of my life. First, when I was walking up to the front door of school, I slipped on ice and fell into a puddle, in front of everyone. The whole day I had to walk around with wet clothes. As if that wasn’t bad enough, I quickly realized that I left my geometry binder at home, and it had my homework in it. The day dragged on until it was finally tenth period, almost time to go home. It looked like things were starting to look up, but as soon as I walked in the classroom, my teacher announced a pop quiz. I tried my best but I was positive that I failed. Finally, it was time to go home! I darted out of the building and went to wait at Baskin Robin’s where my brother picks me up. I waited for about ten minutes, and then called him. The phone rang and rang, but there was no answer. So I waited some more, and some more, and some more. Finally he showed up, only a half hour late, claiming he “forgot” to pick me up. Right when I got home, I rushed to the refrigerator and took out a tub of my favorite ice cream, mint chocolate chip. With each bite, my mood brightened, and I quickly started to feel much better. I strongly believe that food is an outlet for emotions.

Food has a strong affect on many people’s emotions and moods. In fact, research has found that certain foods can alter a mood by increasing brain chemicals called neurotransmitters. Depending on what type of food you eat your mood can be changed. For example, if you eat something high in protein, you will get a greater sense of alertness and concentration.

Whenever I am upset, I like to drown my sorrows in a big bowl of ice cream or a chocolaty brownie. On the contrary, whenever I am happy, I like to celebrate with my favorite foods. Food is an outlet for emotions, and for me, it helps me to express the way that I am feeling. I eat when I’m mad, I eat when I’m sad, I eat when I’m glad, I eat when I’m happy, and I eat when I’m bored. As you can see, eating is a big part of my life. I firmly believe that food is an outlet for emotions.