Sports and our youth

Martel - La Grange, Illinois

When I was in 6th grade I was not a very active person. I hated the outdoors and loved my video games. My summers consisted of countless hours of playing these games. Shortly before I entered middle school all of my friends were becoming more and more interested in sports. This was one of the major reasons why I became more interested myself. I played baseball in 6th grade, and basketball in 7th . Participating in these sports really helped my school work as well as my relationship with my friends. I believe that sports are a very important part in helping kids have happier and more successful futures.

One reason I believe this is that the benefits of exercise at a early age have been shown to be huge. Being active at a young age helps build good habits for the future. It also helps kids steer away from potential life threatening illness in the future; such as heart disease and stroke. Sports also help kids learn lessons in life. With wins and loses kids learn how to handle success and failure. These lessons are very useful later in life. A third way sports help kids have more successful futures is that sports help develop leadership and friendship skills in kids. These are not only very important components in sports but also in life. When kids enter the work field they will have these skills to help with their success. Finally sports help kids learn about the importance of goal setting. Goal setting is yet another thing that is not only a essential part of sports but life as well.

Coming into my sophomore year I was nervous about trying out for the basketball team. I had never been cut from a sport in my life and did not want it to start there. I knew that to reach my goal of making the team I had to work very hard. I put the time and effort in that I needed to. With hard work I was able to accomplish my goal.