Small Things

Tori - 60525, Illinois

Small Things

Three and a half years ago, during the summer before eight grade, my grandpa was admitted to the hospital and his kidneys were failing. He had been having a hard time and was in a great deal of pain. The doctors thought that he would have died years before, but he was still with us. Watching him in the hospital, just laying there was terribly hard for my family. We all loved him dearly but we all knew that his days were numbered and few. Grandpa knew he was dying as well and he kept saying, “I don’t want to die; I don’t want to leave all of you.” Hearing him say that wrenched my insides and it was hard to deal with.

However, my grandpa’s sense of humor shinned though and the medicine he was on made him a bit more humorous than usual. One day all he wanted were some french fries, except he did not call them that. He called them wiggly chips because he could not recall what the real name for them were at that time. He made the mood lighter because of that. Grandpa loved french fries, they were the one thing he wanted even when he knew he was dying. It was just a small thing he wanted. Yes, he was not suppose to have them because the doctors said it would make him worse; but he did not care because he knew he was not going to stay in this world much longer. To him the little things were all that mattered.

I believe that people should focus more on the simple and happy moments in their lives instead of dreading what is to come in the future. My grandpa found that happiness important when he was dying but he never found the simple things so great until he was near the end of his life. Just a simple hug or telling a friend how much they mean to you could brighten their day if that day was bad earlier. Happiness itself is a simple thing that people look for so often, but sometimes do not know just what to look for. If someone made a mistake, a simple, “I’m sorry” can mean a lot. I believe the simple things are more important than we realize at first, and people should make an effort to make them a more significant part of their life.