I Believe the Most Powerful Form of Courage Comes From Inside

Sandra - USA
Themes: courage

“Courage does not always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, ‘I will try again tomorrow’.” Mary Anne Radmacher’s words of wisdom make us question what the true meaning of courage. While the first thing that comes to most of our minds is a fireman running into a burning building, we also need to remember that courage also comes in the form of living day to day. I believe the most powerful form of courage comes from deep inside of you. It is conquering something that you have allowed to conquer you up until now. One of the most inspiring displays of this courage is the Bethesda Women’s Shelter. These women come to the shelter looking to conquer things that have controlled their lives, and through that discover courage within themselves to conquer their fears.

“We are afraid of losing what we have, whether it’s our life or our possessions and property. But this fear evaporates when we understand that our life stories and the history of the world were written by the same hand.” Paulo Coelho brings up an interesting aspect of courage; the courage to let go of our comfort in worldly possessions. So many people put their self-value and sense of security in material possessions or their bank account. Consequently, we are all fearful of loosing our material possessions. To realize that the most inportant things in life aren’t material things takes courage.

“The brick walls are there for a reason. The brick walls are not there to keep us out; the brick walls are there to give us a chance to show how badly we want something. The brick walls are there to stop the people who don’t want it badly enough. They are there to stop the other people!” In “The Last Lecture” Randy Pausch speaks of the various “brick walls” in his life. This speaks of the courage to push against the flow. Sometimes when somebody says “No.” you have to say “Why not?” When you want something bad enough, you shouldn’t let the first discouragement stop you. The women in the Bethesda shelter have risen above the various obstacles to strive for a better life. To find the courage to do that is truly admirable.

I truly believe that everybody who faces challenges and refuses to be beaten by their fears has true courage. Sometimes courage is just the power to say “no” to something that has been controlling your life. The hardest person to say no to is yourself. Everybody has a courage that is more powerful than the think, constantly manifested by their thought, words, and actions. This I truly believe.