Nicholas - La Grange, Illinois
Themes: children

A few Christmas’ ago, I was in New Jersey visiting my mom’s family. Unfortunately, two members of my extended family were not there. Both my Aunt Sue and my little cousin Lea were in a hospital in Philadelphia. Lea had leukemia and was there for treatment, my aunt was staying with her. Two months later, Lea passed away. Needless to say, we went back to Jersey for her wake and funeral. All of us were wrecks. Personally, I had only met Lea once or twice before this happened; she had been adopted from a family in Korea. Both my aunt and uncle were at Lea’s services, but my cousin Daniel, Lea’s brother, was not. I figured this to be because he was too sad.

A few days later, as we were getting ready to leave, we went to visit with Lea’s family. Naturally, this was a rather somber meeting. However, my cousin Daniel was perfectly fine. He even once went up to the picture of Lea and kissed it, but was still composed. We all left the house sad, and I imagine that my aunt and uncle remained saddened for a long while. However, Daniel was the bravest and smartest out of all of us.

I believe in the wisdom of children. After Lea’s death, all of my family was devastated. We wanted Lea back, and we allowed her death to show in us. I was sad for weeks after coming home. Daniel, on the other hand, did not let Lea’s passing faze him. Of course he was sad and he missed her, but he did not let this affect him like it did everyone else. He simply went on with his life. He did not forget about Lea, but he knew that there was nothing he could do about it, so he did not let it bother him.

Kids always seem to be more mature in this aspect. Yes they love their toys and their family, but they are sometimes much more realistic. As we get older, when a member of our family dies, we seem to just become saddened beyond anything else. Children look on the upside. They think about God and heaven, while older people remain greedy and wish that that person would just come back.

I believe in the wisdom of childhood.