Katie - Western Springs, Illinois
Themes: setbacks

Many times in my life I have heard the phrase: “Actions speak louder than words.” I didn’t honestly believe it until I had actually experienced it. I believe in the power of actions.

My first semester of sophomore year in high school I wanted more than anything to go to All-State for music; I had entered my information to I.M.E.A., Illinois Music Education Association. I had been practicing for three months on the Finale to Peter Tchaikovsky’s Fourth Symphony. The time came for auditions in October, and we were told that we were District 1. District 1 auditions were to be held at Carl Sandburg High School. I was to play excerpts from the fourth symphony. I had been through the process before with the Jr. High level but for some reason the most familiar thing was nerve racking. I went through my audition and did my best. I trusted my one friend with fingerings and even bowings for this audition. I had met her for the first time at the Lyons Township High School, seven and eighth grade workshop. The following summer we both went to the same music camp. When the I.M.E.A. auditions came around she had told me she had no interest in it. I told her to do what she wanted and that it was up to her. She auditioned anyway and told me she had learned it in exactly three days. I knew this was semi-impossible because even professional cellist have to have at least a week in advance to look at this music and learn it.

November came around and the results came back that all of us who had tried out for I.M.E.A. for orchestra made it. We were to go to Downer’s South High School on November 22.

The whole day my friend said she hated the experience and said if she made All-State she was not going.

December came and half way through the month we had found out who made it to All-State and who didn’t. I was one of the few who didn’t, but my friend did. She was extremely excited and didn’t stop talking about it and jumped up and down with joy. That was when I knew she had lied from the start and her actions did truly speak louder than words.

This was a learning experience. Her actions hurt me more than the words.