I Believe I’m Strong

Linda - san Diego, California

April, 1st, 08

I Believe I’m Strong

One Sunday afternoon, I went to church with my father. This church was the one I used to go with my ex boyfriend every Sunday afternoon. I had been there several times after we’d broken up, but I never saw him there anymore.

I went into the church like it was no big deal, and the first thing I saw was my ex boyfriend and his new girlfriend holding hands. My father and I sat across from them. I tried hiding because I didn’t want them to see me. Then, I looked behind me, and I saw my ex’s two sisters and one of their boyfriends. I went over to say hi to them (I’ve known the younger one the longest). When I gave her a kiss on the cheek, she stared at me and smiled. Then she hugged me and said, “I love you; you’re strong.”

Before that, my heart had been beating really fast; I was feeling devastated since her brother and I had only broken up about a month before, after going out for two years. But when his sister, Aleh, said those words to me, I told myself, “I can cry and be depressed about something that doesn’t matter, or I can ignore the scene, smile, and make the best out of that uncomfortable situation.” I walked back to my seat next to my father and picked the second choice.

I believe I am stronger than I ever thought I could be.

In this instance, I realized, if I can change one moment of my life by thinking positively, I could change every day and make it better. We all have the power to be as strong as we want. Our day revolves around the attitude we choose to take; whether it’s a positive one or negative, we as individuals have the free will to select and express our attitude. We all have the power to be as strong as we want. An individual decides how to live and how happy he or she wants to be. Life is not always fair, and we can’t expect other people to take care of us. They barely take care of themselves. It’s everyone’s job to make the right choices for ourselves, and if we don’t, we shouldn’t stop trying until we reach happiness. We should fight for ourselves before anything else.

After that uncomfortable episode on a Sunday afternoon, I decided exactly how I wanted to live my life from then on. I can feel really sad, and I can be desperate to cry, but it’s my fault if I let things get to me. Like the saying goes, “Take the best out of the worst.” I want to let go, live happy, without any regrets, and learn a valuable lesson every day, because…

I know I’m strong.