Game mode

Joanne - Northborough, Massachusetts

I believe in teamwork, and self-discipline. I found this out first hand while playing on a sports team, my game was volleyball. I was a Junior in high school and once school was over for the day I completely forgot about the books, the essays, the homework and went into game mode. In order to be in game mode I had to have more than me and the ball in mind , I had to have the opposing team, my team and my position. In order for me to get myself into this train of thought I needed practice, day after day, week after week. While going through training, my coach became my biggest enemy and my teammates, my biggest fans. My coach was constantly telling me to push harder, run faster, get lower. I didn’t like hearing this but I knew that he was just trying to help, and in the end it did.

On game day as soon as school got over I would run to the locker room to meet my teammates, we would cheer each other up tell each other that we could do it we had what it took. As soon as we left that room we would do the normal stretches as a team like we did everyday, then warm up. Warm up included running, jumping, diving on the ground, you name it, we did it. I could see the bleachers in the gym slowly start to fill up with parents, friends, a few teachers and brothers and sisters. The noise in the gym rapidly began to climb, my and my teammates adrenaline began to rise. I could feel the excitement in the crowd, I could see the opposing team warming up and doing the same drills we just finished. They looked good, but I knew we were better. It was now that my self-discipline kicked in, I was tired but I didn’t stop, I couldn’t stop, I was in game mode. We took our spots on the court, looking and waiting. Now the gym was silent, all I could hear was my heavy breathing and then the contact between the servers hand and the ball. The gym suddenly got very loud, people were jumping and screaming, I could see but I couldn’t hear them I was completely focused on where my team was and where I needed to go next. Running from one side of the court to the center, diving, jumping, digging, spiking, setting, it was like it was all second nature.

Looking back on how we worked together as a team, helping each other, cheering each other, striving to do better. I can see that we never could have made it without the support, the extra push the laughs, inside jokes and tears that made us stronger. Now that I’m older I can see how team work ties into real life, working together at school to finish a paper before the deadline, for example.