This I Believe: Sports

Thomas - Saint Simons Island, Georgia
Themes: sports

“This I Believe: Sports” (-11)

Athletic ability and good physical condition have been huge characteristics of humanity since the beginning of time. In the present period of time, athletic ability is shown through sports. I believe in the importance of sports in the lives of just about every person on the planet. Sports teach lessons that would not be taught so well in any other circumstance; they teach lessons such as the importance of teamwork, self discipline, and effort or hard work. These lessons would not be easily taught otherwise. Team sports create such strong bonds between players that the team almost becomes a person’s second family. I know this from personal experience; I play basketball for my school team, and after two years of playing on the team, it has become my second family away from the one at home. Sports also provide a form of entertainment for both players and spectators. For example, throughout history, and even still today, people have paid to watch a variety of “sports” whether it be a battle to the death or a football game. Sports have played a part in the lives of people for centuries.

Sports and just plain physical activity play a huge roll and give many advantages to not only the spectators but also the players. Sports play a huge part in my life; I love to watch them and to play them. In my opinion, life without some kind of competition of physical and mental ability would be dull and boring. I consider myself to be a fairly athletic person; though basketball is the only sport that I partake in, I play and practice all the time. Basketball provides a release of stress, tension, and anger that nothing else has the ability to provide for me. I have learned lessons from basketball that I have learned nowhere else but on the court. In today’s society, there are so many things to do that involve nothing of any mental or physical ability. Some of these include watching the television all day instead of getting up and actually doing something. With all of the tempting, delicious, and yet very, very unhealthy food offered by fast food restaurants, the physical ability and passion for sports in many people is growing smaller and smaller. America, in general, is a great example of what fast food does to a person. America is known commonly as “the fattest country in the world”; this is because the obesity rate in America is higher than that of any other country on the planet. This is another reason why sports are so important; they provide one of the greatest forms of exercise. If I didn’t have sports in my life, I don’t know what I would do or even if I would have the even decent physical ability to do anything.