Things Will Always Get Worse

Christopher - Hudsonville, Michigan
Themes: humanism

As I watched the snow sweep down and through the stadium, and as a wall of green and yellow burst forth in a frenzied chorus of unintelligible shouts and jeers, I couldn’t help but to think it. The last four seconds on the clock ticked by in an instant, and then it was official. I suppose everyone has the thought sometime, that last ditch attempt to find some glimmer of hope, some inkling of Honolulu blue amidst the seemingly insurmountable sea of green and yellow. It can’t get any worse. It just can’t. Look, I believe the universe is balanced, and that for every action there is an equal and opposing one. And yet at the same time, as I watched Rod Marinelli make his way across a snowy Lambeau Field to shake hands with Mike McCarthy, I knew. I believe, and the Detroit Lions are proof enough, things will always get worse before they get better.

People need to be truly unnerved before they are ready to act. Simple failure (and in case of the Lions total failure) are often not enough. A genocide in Africa. Hundreds of thousands dead. It couldn’t get any worse, right? Wrong. The U.N.’s utter failure to do anything and the rest of the world’s refusal to help has only led to more and more slaughter in Africa. Crime in New York is at an all time high, but no major police escalations will be enacted this year. People need to be shocked, and it takes great and terrible events for action to finally be pressed upon by the greater public.

And yet, I do not resent people for this, for that would be awfully hypocritical of me, and furthermore, I do not believe it is the fault of people, but the fault of the universe. How can I believe in a balanced universe, and an unbalanced one at the same time? And I assure you I do believe in this.

It’s simple: balance is unbalanced.

Let me digress, I believe that for every bad act committed against us, we can take pleasure in knowing that some opportunity or flash of joy is coming our way. If things simply cannot seem to get any worse, and yet they do, that is the time we can really learn something.

Until a larger impulse forces them awake, people will always be hitting the snooze button one last time, but when their Mother finally decides to go and see why in the world they haven’t got up yet, that is when their eyes are truly opened. And that is why I have not, and will not lose faith in humanity. I will never lose hope for reform in Africa. I will never hang my head at the thought of crime becoming too vast to fight. And though I read in the papers, and see the reports on television that both Tom Lewand and Martin Mayhew have been promoted, and though I hear wind of interviews with defensive back coach Todd Bowles who refers to the team lovingly as “mentally damaged,” I will not lose hope. I will always cheer with a fiery passion for the knights who don Honolulu blue.

Balance. Unbalance. A hope in humanity, and a knowledge that things will always, always get worse before they get better. That’s what I believe in.