Soccer should be the best sport in America

Chance - Austin, Texas
Themes: sports

Soccer should be the best sport in America. It is the most viewed thing in the world. While the rest of the world loves it, here in America we are not as passionate for it. For some countries in Europe soccer has been around for centuries, but the MLS (Major League Soccer) was started in the USA only a little over a decade ago. Little kids around the world in countries like Mexico and England, grow up with soccer. Soccer is almost like a religion for them because they go play all the time. While these nations celebrate their game, the USA doesn’t give it the attention it deserves.

There are multiple reasons soccer is not extremely big in America. The USA probably doesn’t want to accept it as their sport because there isn’t as much of a physical sport as football is. This is true up to a certain level but from experience I can say that after the games you are a lot more tired because in the soccer game you end up getting more bruises from getting kicked and head butted all the time. In a football game you only play half the game and then get breaks after every play. In soccer you play two 45 minute halves and there are no breaks between plays. Another consideration is the fact that the USA likes high scoring games. In football and basketball there can be a lot of scores. In soccer usually you won’t see more then 3 goals in a game. These two reasons are why there is a lack of viewers in the United States.

On many television shows in America sports are shown daily. ESPN broadcasts their shows all the time but in the mornings they might show about 2 min of soccer at most, while other sports like basketball and football take up 45 minutes of the hour long show. With this little bit of coverage how can we expect anyone to take an interest to the sport if it isn’t being shown.

High schools also play a part in keeping soccer from becoming popular. Unlike basketball, football and track, soccer was not allowed in the lower schools. Without kids being exposed to it at a young age, how can we expect them to all of a sudden like the game of soccer? This is the period they grow to love things. If the kids are not shown what soccer is about, then there is no chance for kids to get a liking of the game and then wanting to play. Also soccer isn’t as well invested in as other sports. The football teams get the marching band, money, and pep rallies that let the school know when the game is and everything the school could want to know about the game to be played. At high school soccer games, it is exactly the opposite. We might get one announcement that people rarely listen to.

Unfortunately, it is not a hard to discover fact that soccer is not considered a significant sport among most Americans. Even with the rest of the world saying that soccer is the best sport in the world, people in the USA still would rather watch other sports. Although soccer is becoming more popular, it is no where near where the rest of the world thinks of it. I believe soccer should be accepted more by Americans, and then eventually become the most liked sport in the USA.