I believe in reading.

Ansley - Brunswick, Georgia

“This I Believe”

Once my teacher assigned the “This I Believe” essay I had no clue what I was going to do it on. I thought to myself, I do not really have one thing that I believe in, or that I’m passionate about. So as I was pondering this after school one day, I started to read, and then it hit me like a meteor from outer space: I believe in reading! It is something that I love to do, and it is good for me. So here is my story.

I believe that reading plays a huge role in success. I believe that without reading one has less knowledge than one would have with reading. I believe reading opens doors. I believe reading is key and essential in life.

In the summer of fifth grade Mrs. F and Mrs. A assigned my fifth grade class books to read. I do not remember the second book, but I do remember the first. It was Bridge to Terabithia. This book was about a young boy and girl who were bored during the summer, so they “built” their own fantasy world to escape to. They created wild, fairy tale creatures that were fierce and ugly, along with sweet, innocent animals. In the end the little girl drowns in a stream that they have to cross to get to their “world”.

This was the first novel that made me cry. I was able to relate to the characters, and it felt like I was their friend. Bridge to Terabithia gave me knowledge about imagination and the “real world”. To me, this quote explains the theme of the book: “Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere” stated by Carl Sagan.

One who enjoys reading must have imagination, because without imagination one can not immerse themselves into the book like the author wants them to. One who has reading has a more extensive and elaborate vocabulary, than one who is not a reader. I believe that reading is something that can keep people out of trouble. Reading can be something that people escape to when they are bored or when they feel like getting away. Reading can take people to a place they only dream about in their dreams.

I believe that reading can be someone’s passion. If someone loves to read and is very passionate about it, then they will probably have a successful future in many things ahead of them, because reading is used in everyday tasks. If someone does not like to read, then they will probably skip over instructions or not read something that they are supposed to. Reading is part of people’s everyday lives, and it will probably never change. I believe that reading can be the resolution to boredom, a way of life, something to keep one occupied, someone’s love and passion, or someone’s future. This I believe.