I Believe We Can All Learn Something From Our Pets

Caroline - Brunswick, Georgia

I believe that we all could learn from the unconditional love that my pets offer me, I have been fortunate to grow up in a home with lots of pets and have even had foster dogs. You can tell them secrets, and unlike some humans, they will keep them and never tell. They will sit by your side when you’re happy, sad, or mad. They love me when I am having a bad hair day or if I forgot to put on my makeup. Sometimes if I’m in a bad mood, just watching them play will cheer me up and make me laugh. There have been many studies that show that people who have pets live longer and healthier, which I believe. If I am upset, just holding and petting my cat or dog calms me down.

One of the things I learned from our foster dogs was that no matter how badly they were mistreated in their previous home they were always willing to give humans another chance. They are willing to take a chance that if they love me unconditionally I will love them back. I wish I could say that I have learned to be as accepting of everyone, as my dogs are of any foster dog we bring into our house. Material possessions are not important to dogs. They, unlike humans, are more interested in what is in your heart.

It seems they have a sixth sense that makes them aware of when we are unhappy, and therefore they come to comfort us. They give me their undivided attention when I talk to them.

Ever since we got our first rescue dog, I noticed that even though most of the dogs had been badly abused, they seemed bound and determined to give humans another chance, willingly giving us their love and hoping that it would be returned. Some of our dogs did not give this love back so easily and we had to gain their trust. But this aside, the dogs did eventually give us their trust and we were able to find homes for all the dogs that we fostered with the exception of one, that we kept for ourselves. Sometimes we hear from the dogs we adopted out. Their owners always tell us about what they found in the yard or their latest trip with the families. Sometimes we are even luckier and we get to see the dogs again. It doesn’t matter how long they have been gone, they always remember who we are and become very happy remembering the love we gave them.