Good Health

Ashley - St Simons Island, Georgia
Themes: setbacks

I believe that most people underestimate the value of their good health. With it, we are able to hear, see, talk, and move around. It is not until our abilities are taken away that we comprehend how vital our heath is to us. When I broke my right arm, I realized how incapable I was without being able to write freely. In addition, during class when we were assign to read The Chosen, I realized that the protagonist of the novel also took his good health for granted, until he was injured in the eye. Therefore, I come to the conclusion that I myself – as well as others – take well-being for granted.

Growing up, I had never broken a single bone in my body, until I shattered my right elbow. I had fallen off a zip-line during a birthday party and landed on my elbow. With tears rolling down my eyes, I rushed inside where a parent called my mother, who then escorted me to the hospital. Once I had been examined, the doctor told me I had snapped the radius head of my elbow. He also told me that I needed to undergo surgery and wear a cast. After being unable to use or write with my right hand, I apprehended how difficult it was going to be without my previous abilities. While being handicap, I appreciated health and continue to.

As said before, the protagonist of The Chosen, Reuven Malter, was injured, but from a different accident than my own. While playing softball, his glasses shattered, and a piece of the lens pierced his eye. He, as well, was rushed to the hospital. The doctor examined him, too, and came to the assumption that he had the possibility of being blind in that eye. After undergoing a surgery, Reuven stayed in the hospital, where he met two people who also had eye injuries. One of them, Billy, was a young boy who was blind because of a car accident. The other, Tony, had to quit his career as a prizefight due to an eye injury. Reuven states, “I had always take them [my eyes] for granted, the way I took for granted all the rest of my body and also my mind.” The protagonist finds the gift of health that most people do not realize.

Everyday, people are similar to Reuven or me and once took good health for granted, until their abilities were taken from them. Being without something you’ve always had makes you realize how important it is to take care of yourself and preserve good health. Looking at third-world countries, anyone can realize that heath and well-being are essential to survive