Stand….Even With Your Hands

Pong - Commerce City, Colorado

Ever had a hard time standing up? Ever take a fall so devastating you never recover? Everyone has hard and rough times in their life. How we cope and how we deal with them can make them beneficial or damaging to the person. There are events you can’t understand and theirs events you can never forget. The usual way to recover from falling is to push up with both hands and stand again on your feet, but I have learned a different way to stand, on your hands. Handstand refers to a person who body is upside down on their hands, thus directing all of the body weight onto the hands. It’s not a rare skill, but it is also not an easy skill. I have learned how to handstand very well both physically and mentally throughout my life. Growing up in a lower class setting my life wasn’t all that great. Lots of people dear to me have died in my lifetime. In middle school I had a friend name Rocky who became a very dear friend to me. After we went to different high schools, he had committed suicide, and I always questioned why he did it. We would never share any moments together again nor would I ever see him again.

Growing up through my teenage years, I had to help my parents in the agricultural field because they were agricultural workers. Everyday I would wake up at 6 am so I could go work in the fields together and help make a living. It was often fun, but there were times when it was very hot, and I wanted to quit. I never did though, I kept working, and I learned. I learned that if you want a unique life, you have to participate in the world. You have to experience the good, bad, and unknown. Yet you recover from them, you learn from them, you remember them. Bad events and hard times are also parts of your memory. They are there even if you like or disagree with them. You could say they are obstacles for the mind and soul. Pass or fail, you suddenly have a new test or obstacle that you must overcome. It is a never ending cycle of obstacles. People believe in goals and dreams, but I don’t. They are just wants. I see goals as handed to me freely and without any work. Your dreams and goals are not like continuing obstacles because once you have reached them, you make a new one. Goals and dreams are made to your liking and benefit. Nobody has negative dreams and goals. Obstacles and events are thrown into your face whether you favor them or not. I’ve learned that one who wants to live must participate in both beneficial and damaging events. That is the true life. Nobody has a life full of happiness only.