Just a Few Seconds

Akhil - Chesterfield, Missouri

Even taking a few seconds to help someone can make their day.

So much time is wasted everyday. I know there are always people in a rush to do something or get somewhere. But it’s always nice to see someone stop and help someone despite the time or place. Whether it’s helping someone cross the street or holding a door for someone, it’s always a good deed. I’d definitely like to see more people doing that. I learned that through my own personal experience.

My family and I were going to the mall. My mom, dad, and sister were inside already. I was walking to the door; an old lady was walking slowly behind me. I knew there was a special sale at the store and it wasn’t going to last long with all the other shoppers. I was ready to let go of the door, and keep walking. But something changed my mind. The thought of the old woman having to struggle to open the door kept me standing.

She slowly hobbled through the door while I held it open. She didn’t look back, it’s almost like she didn’t notice me. So, I helped an old lady, nothing special. But what she told me afterwards really intrigued me.

“Thank you so much, young man,” I heard her say. “Sit down, let me tell you something,” she continued. I was obligated to sit down on the maroon chair by the clothing department. It wasn’t very comfortable, but I decided to stay seated. The lady, fragile yet wise, sat down on a similar maroon chair next to me. I would guess she was in her 70’s or 80’s. She had white hair, and was wearing a old pink sweater.

She told me how in her days, people were always respectful and helped each other out. People looked out for one another. She said it’s changed a lot from back then. Now, people don’t always do things like that. “You holding that door was the highlight of my day, son.” She said slowly. I couldn’t believe that those few seconds of holding a door made that much of a difference for someone. I realized that I had done something really simple, but I had helped that lady a lot.

As I rushed through rows of clothes to find my family, I thought about what she said. She said it was “the highlight of her day.” Those five words stuck in my head. I didn’t think what I did really mattered too much, but it did, to that old lady. The old lady was an old tree, old and wise, seen almost everything, but still going strong.

Through my own experience, I learned taking even a few seconds to help someone can make their day. Personally, I’d like to see more people helping each other. That is what I believe.