Once upon a time…

Claire - Chesterfeild, Missouri

Once upon a time, their was a person; a person who went through many hardships. This story is probably familiar to many of us, and may of us have probably given up hope on things getting better. I disagree with this belief. I believe that humans are generally good, and that we should have faith in humanity altogether. When asked how I came to this belief; my answer is simple. The miracles I’ve witnessed in my life. No, I haven’t seen the savior, and no, the world is not a utopia. This is not an excuse that people should give themselves. Humans must remember the simple things in life; the little things that can make you smile.

As a young girl, I grew up with the stories of Cinderella, Jasmine, Aurora, and others. I’m sure almost everyone has heard these stories; so, everyone remembers how the stories started with a terrible thing happening to the princess. She trudged through, usually with the help of her friends, whether they be birds, mice, tiger, fairies, or some other creature. Each princess believed that a new day would come for them. This belief was introduced to me; the belief in little miracles, and the belief that every story ends with a beautiful kiss.

What the stories never did say was if there were ever false kisses. Did these princesses ever find a prince charming that was really a frog? Did someone come along, giving them false kisses, false hopes? I may not be a princess but their have been times like this. Once in fifth grade I had a best friend. Her name was Natalie. Even though I’d been going to this school since third grade; I still felt like the new girl. Natalie was the first person I felt comfortable enough to tell her secrets about myself. For the first part of the year we were inseparable, but when

second quarter came I called her to see if she wanted to do anything over the long weekend. She said no and then said,

“I think we should be friends with different people.” Natalie knew that moment would end our friendship, for the spite in her voice was clear, but what she didn’t know is that is would also break me down to tears. At that moment I had given a kiss to that prince charming and turned him into a frog. I was down spiraling; I believed that every prince in my life was like that, that all humans were like Natalie. In that moment, Natalie was a frog in my life.

A few weeks later, I pulled down the old stories of Belle, Snow White, and Ariel. I saw that in all their stories the hardest part was right before that perfect kiss. Looking back I can see that Natalie was one person, and I couldn’t judge all people based on her; like I couldn’t judge all prince charmings after that one frog. He was fake, but somewhere their has to be a true one.

I have a two-year-old cousin, who is battling cancer. She is still as happy and giggly as any baby would be. I have a little brother and a little sister. Both of whom think that the hardest part of school is the addition or multiplication problems; then bulge their eyes out when I solve a algebraic system. I am alive. That is a miracle no one should every forget. I have my family and my friends. Life is not a bed of roses, but you must remember to have faith in humanity. As said by Simon Birch,

“Faith is not a floor plan.”

Be careful not to confuse believing with faith. Both are needed for true faith, but true faith also includes believing in something when it is hard to do.Their have been many times in my life when I have had to learn this lesson, and I still am, but I know someday I’ll find my prince charmings. When that day comes I’ll know the perfect kiss. Until then I wish you all the very best, and when humanity does come through; I’m sure will all live happily ever after.