“Like You’ll Never See Me Again”

Nicky - Chesterfield, Missouri

All throughout our lives, people deal with challenges of both the physical, mental, and emotional type. Many of these situations can be summed up in one word. Moving. This is the one word that kids and parents alike fear; the one that can change your life forever. At even one thought of moving, unpleasant thoughts were put into my mind. I feared for the worst; thought that if I moved, then EVERYTHING would be changed dramatically and permanently. Most people thought I had separation anxiety, but my grandmamma told me I just worried too much.

Since the age of four years, my mom and I had lived in upstate Missouri; in an odd, yet picturesque town named Kirksville. This place was much like our own little universe in the middle of (literally) nowhere; and filled with people of such diversity that even L.A. couldn’t top it. My mother and I were “lost souls,” and Kirksville had found us standing in the middle of an overgrown cornfield, dazed and confused. Kirksville was not the most elegant or best place to improve your social standing, but we worked with what resources were available to us. Of course, our slightly shabby situation had nothing to do with capability or smartness; it was all about acceptance.

Kirksville, along with its inhabitants, was a box of crayons, in which each individual person was a different color. In my personal opinion, each “color” was important in their own way, and none should be ignored. At the time, and even sometimes now, that was connected to my “life motto.” Live in the moment; live a healthy and open-style life; live your life with no regrets; and make sure others can share in your celebrations, collaborations, and condensations. So much was I engulfed with these in-depth thoughts of mine; even if I was just walking with my mom to the little grocery store on the corner, I made sure to say “hello” to everyone I saw-even if I didn’t know them. Acceptance should be held in highest regards, especially in the cases of the socially challenged or needy.

The day we were due to move; I went to school, nervous and anxious for the day ahead. One by one, my classmates were called out of science, and as the minutes progressed, I became more and more worried. What was going on? Where are all of my friends going? Why were they leaving me here alone? Finally, when I was the only kid left in the classroom, my homeroom teacher called me down to the cafeteria for our weekly “free time.” I walked slowly, scared for what I would find in the darkened room ahead. In the middle of the room, I stopped and looked around me. Tables lay in crude-shaped piles, looking foreign and dangerous in contrast to the pitch black walls. I heard a whisper, and slowly pirouetted towards the door, turning as I walked backwards. Suddenly I stopped, blinded momentarily as lights flicked on all around me. Dazed from the unexpected light change, it took me a few seconds to realize that there were forms all around me; all my classmates, teachers, and my mom stood around me smiling. “SURPRISE!!!!” my best-friends Mason, Daniel, Corey, Kendyll, Brook, Jordan, Mitch, Mia, Quinn, David, and Austin yelled. Feeling a huge smile spread across my face, I stepped hesitantly into the warm embraces of my friends.

The party-thrown in my honor-was filled with lasting stories and teary goodbyes. In those last few minutes of my life as I knew it, I realized that I was right in being accepting of others, (no matter how odd or ditzy or weird), for some of my best friends were exactly that. It was as if I was a blind man, finally seeing the light of a new day for the very first time. Even if I was moving, and might never see these people again-at least for a while, nothing that happened previously mattered. I was my own person, and in being one that was true to myself and others, I could make new friends.

So hey, even if you have problems, it’s okay. EVERYONE has issues, and big or small, they will all work out eventually. I realized that, and it’s time for you to see the light. It’s the light of a new day; symbolizing a new start in your life. Don’t put on a pair of sunglasses, even if your eyes hurt from the light. Bask in the sun; Live in the moment; Be accepting of others, with no regrets; And love me like you’ll never see me again.