The Importance of Family

Adrienne - chesterfield, Missouri

At 11 years old I had just started middle school, and going through the independent phase. I didn’t want to be thought of as a baby, I wanted to act mature. I felt that my family was a brick wall, blocking me from growing up. I was trying to grow apart from my family, but that all changed when my mom was diagnosed with breast cancer.

My mom would need four chemotherapies and weeks and weeks of radiation. Everyone in my family was sad and upset, wondering how she could have gotten such bad luck. As the news spread around, friends became concerned. They started a group to help us with our problems. They started a group among themselves; every week bringing over a new food to us. It was really kind of them to do that for us, and we were really grateful.

My mom needed us for support, to help her through the long months. I even needed support from my family, which came to me fast giving me both faith and optimism, both values I was lacking at the most. Everyone in my family was concerned about me and my brother, and I was happy that they cared so much about me.

I realized the most important thing is your family and friends. You are never really alone because you always have your family. “The most important thing in life is to learn how to give out love and to let it come in” quoted from the novel Tuesdays with Morrie by Mitch Albom. My mom’s cancer brought my family and friends closer, allowing me to realize the importance of having people who care. When in the future I start my own family, I hope I will bring the values I learned.