A Metal Life

Nick - O`Fallon, Illinois

Everyone has their favorite type of music, whether it’s Rap, Country, Rock, R&B, or reggae. Most people listen to music because it’s the new popular song, gets them pumped up, or helps them relax. For me, I listen to it because it’s apart of my life.

It all started back about 9 or ten years ago when my oldest brother was going to high school, everyday my mom would take me with her when dropping my brother off at school. Everyday he would put in some kind of rock CD on the trip to his school, from what I remembered we listened to Metallica a lot since it was really popular back then. I would have to say that my brother is the reason I love rock so much now since the music stuck in my mind and makes me feel happier. It’s amazing I remember all of the songs he listened to on those mornings.

A few years later when I started going to school, the new “Metal” genre was taking America by storm, and is now one of the most popular music types in the U.S.A.

Now with this new Metal merging in with modern Rock, I was totally into the new combination. Now with me growing older and more open to more wide variety of songs, not only did I just listen to the beats of the songs, I started listening to what messages songs were giving.

Understanding what the songs meant brought a whole new dimension to just listening to music, now I “listen” to the music. Music has been playing a big role for me in my life, I not only feel happy while listening to it, I feel physically healthy also.

Now there wouldn’t be music unless there weren’t negative critics. I hear some people say, “metal are just people screaming into a microphone,” or, “metal is for depressed, borderline suicide people.” This is an idiotic stereotype for people that have nothing good to say about anyone. I’m sorry if that’s a little harsh, but I stand by it.

Through my years of numerous Metal listening there have been times when I have listened to nothing but rap for a year or two. This was mostly when my brother was over seas. During that time I wasn’t entirely happy, not like I am now. I think it was because I didn’t listen to Metal for a while. I became dependent on it like I was addicted to it and went through withdrawal.

I’m sure some of you have similar music lives as I have explained mine. All I have to say is you should listen to some kind of music, whether it’s Metal, Rap, Country, or anything else, because you will be healthy mentally and physically for the rest of your life.