Unexpected Courage

Jeffrey - Chesterfield, Missouri
Themes: courage

Unexpected Courage

I always thought courage was for superheroes, until one day, I felt the fear of being alone, and the courage to fight back. I believe that everyone has courage.

I was going to a friend’s farmhouse. It was going to be my first time there, and I was very excited. It was a quick drive and we unloaded the gear. We were going to go airsofting. Airsoft guns are modeled off of real-life weapons. Some are electric, some are spring, and others use CO2. They fire small plastic bbs. There are different rules, but we play by Submission. This is here you keep fighting until you can’t take anymore pain and you give up. We can also play by “hit outs.” This is where once you get hit a certain amount of times, you are out.

Our first battle wasn’t so intense, but our team of four, somehow lost to their team of only three. Our team got trapped and ambushed. One of my teammates got bruises the size of a nickel.

But with our last battle, I realized courage was very important. Our team, once again, had the advantage in numbers. Two of us would sneak around to get their team from behind. We were very careful, but not careful enough. We didn’t know we were being followed until it was too late. Someone on the other team sprang upon us, firing both of his gas-powered pistols, one after the other; we fled as quickly as we could. I didn’t care about what happened to my wingman. I had to get away before I would end up with holes in my body, like a cheese wheel.

Frightened and anxious, I awaited my doom. Someone would come around and nail me with bullets till I cried. There was no doubt; I would die. But suddenly, I came to a realization, not knowing it had to do with courage. If there were four of us, not knowing what had happened to my wingman. They surely could take out the remaining enemies. Filled with energy and spirit, like I drank several energy drinks, I sprinted out quickly.

I could see them, hiding behind trees, their backs towards me. They would be easy targets, like taking candy from a baby. I aimed my automatic MP5 at them. I let out a barrage of fire. It made almost no sound; it was quieter than a whisper. Several made contact, and I smiled. You might find this cruel, but it was extremely fun to see them get pelted with bullets. Suddenly, they discovered me, but I didn’t run. I ducked down a little, trying to evade their bullets while still firing back. They got closer and closer.

I turned to run, but abruptly stopped. I had courage and strength; I would be the superhero. I carefully made my way towards them, taking cover when they fired. But then it stopped. My gun was out of ammo, but I wasn’t scared. I was lucky though, for they ran out of ammo as well. And so it was over. No more fighting. We called a truce because, by the looks of everyone’s face, we were all pretty tired.

As we rode home, I thought about what had happened. It was my moment of courage. It was my moment to shine, even without a spotlight or anyone watching. But it’s not just my moment. Everyone will have his or her moment to shine. I believe that there is courage in everyone.