Colors are the World’s Future

Lauren - Fairhaven, Massachusetts

I was the coolest eight year old because I had traveled to Norway. My family and I stayed at my grandpa’s house in Rasvag for a month. During the long plane ride over, I thought about how different the people in Norway would be. To my surprise, when we arrived, everyone seemed to look American to me; they just spoke a different language. When we arrived at the house, my sister and I met the young girls who live next door, who became our friends despite the language difference.

One day while we were playing outside, the girls went running back to the house. My sister and I were confused until we saw a strange man walk our way. He didn’t stop to say anything, but he was not like anyone I’d ever seen. His face was painted black, grey and white, and he wore bright yellow fishing pants with a black shirt. After he was out of sight, my sister and I went to ask our mom who he was and why he painted his face. She told us his name was Lars Khristian, an artist, and he painted his face in order to express his emotions. At the time I found what he did to be weird, but now I understand.

There are tons of people who use color to show their emotions. Many artist, writers, and poets use color to illustrate their feelings. For example, the well-known Edgar Allen Poe often used black and red in his stories representing death and anger. Average people use color to express their feelings too. When I walk down the halls at school I see tons of colors; black, red, white, blue, yellow, orange, purple, pink, green and all shades in between. The lighter the clothes, the happier someone is. The darker the clothing more angry and sad the person may be. I usually wear bright clothes because I’m usually a happy-go-lucky type of person.

Everyone dresses in a certain color based on his or her feelings that day. When I wear a cute bright shirt and jeans, I’m telling the world that I’m in a great mood and I’m having a great day. Then when I feel sick or am having a bad day, I wear a navy blue shirt or something of the sort to show that it would be best to leave me alone today.

Colors have powerful meanings and are often looked over. An artist can create a beautiful painting full incredible color and detail, and all the observer sees is a picture, not the creator’s feelings that he or she is expressing to the world. Since my trip to Norway and my encounter with the mysterious Larz Khristian, I’ve learned a new appreciation for colors. If more people paid attention to colors and their true meaning, they too will realize colors show a person’s true feelings. Maybe colors are the way to make the world better. Maybe being attentive is all that is needed. This is why I believe in colors, and I have looked at outfits differently ever since.