Little Time, Many Lives, Much Impact

Hannah - Fairhaven, Massachusetts

When was the day the bank teller looked at me and decided I was too old for a lollipop? Or the deli person figured I was too old to enjoy a free piece of cheese? Since when did I outgrow trick-or-treating or Santa Clause? Since my naïve childhood, I have learned that time goes by far too quickly; and at the same point, I began a grown up. Time goes on with or without me, and I am responsible for what I choose to do with it. A lifetime is all I have to leave a footprint on earth. I believe the reason I am on this earth is to help others, and there is no time to waste.

Being a junior in high school, I am beginning to research colleges and to stress about my SAT scores. I am realizing how fast life goes. Perseverance is the only thing that can help me. Even through not-so-great times, I remember there are people in worse conditions that are in need of help. By helping someone, I can better both his or her life and mine.

This Christmas, after only getting a few gifts and being bitter about it, I realized how some people don’t get any. I want to help the less fortunate feel that someone is there for them and thinking about them. Everyone deserves help from each other: Donne said, “No man is an island,” and I believe that. It would be selfish for me not to help others.

Maybe sitting around this vacation wasting time is to blame for my newly found outlook on life. I realize it is entirely up to me to do something beneficial with the little time I have. I am glad I am realizing this early in life, so I can help as many people as possible. Time is precious, and what I decide to do with mine is even more precious. Helping others can cure my selfishness and expand my mind. I believe the short lifetime I have on this earth is meant for me to help others’ lives. This is why I want to go to school to become a teacher. I feel that being a teacher presents a whole world of opportunities to help people. I want to influence children and be a positive role model. I will use my time on this earth to help others.