The Latest Survival Technique: Acting Like a Kid

Chelsea - Fairhaven, Massachusetts

I believe that no matter how old a person is, he or she should be able to act like a little kid once in awhile.

I have noticed that, even as a junior in high school, I tend to get too stressed out. Sometimes, it helps to go back to that time in my life when the biggest stressor I had was not being able to remember the name of my preschool helper. That is why, when I am stressed out, I let out my inner two year-old and forget about my problems.

The other day there was a huge snowstorm. My two best friends, Mia and Rose, came over my house so we could play in the snow like little kids. We made a snowman and snow angels. Then, Mia and I made snowballs and ganged up against Rose. We chased each other around and kept falling over. By the time we were finished, we were all completely soaked through our clothes, and we were freezing.

One time, after a rainstorm, half of my street was one huge puddle. My brother, my cousin, and I ran outside and jumped it. We ran around and splashed ourselves with the water. I was able to forget about the world around me and have a fun time with my family.

In the autumn, once the leaves have fallen off the trees, my brother and I have to rake them all into piles and put them in trash bags for the garbage men to take away. It is definitely supposed to be a chore, but I am able to have fun with it. My brother and I used to rake a few piles, and then we would run around and chase each other with the rakes. Then, we would jump in the piles and lay in them until my dad came outside and got us moving again. By the time we were done raking and putting the leaves in bags, we were still laughing and having a good time.

Recently, I have been stressed out because my dad was diagnosed with cancer. I have driving myself crazy. Little things like playing in the snow with my friends helped me calm down and forget my problems for the moment. For the first time in weeks, I was finally able to completely relax and have a good time. Even though there is not always snow, leaves, or puddles on the ground to play in, I believe that a person can always find a stress reducer in having a carefree afternoon like a little kid. That is why all I have left to say is “Tag! You’re it!”