Alysha - Acushnet, Massachusetts

I began working at Dunkin Donuts in March, and not only did I have to learn how to make coffee, take orders, prepare food, and complete the million other tasks’, but I also had to get along with the people there. When myself and the other four new girls began working together, being shy wasn’t an issue; but we also weren’t showing our true personalities, not knowing how the others would react. The shifts were awkward, boring, and things became almost robotic. One day, about a month after we started, I came into work singing a song that was later cemented into all of our heads. We all just started singing and being ridiculous together and that’s when we let our guards down. Now, I can actually look forward to going to work, knowing that we can sing old 90s songs, use funny accents over the drive-thru speaker, and just show our true crazy sides. Because of this, I believe in eccentricity.

Being eccentric shows real originality. It shows individuality, and self-confidence; when an individual acts the opposite of the expected behavior and not just part of ‘the norm’. For instance, someone who actually makes conversation with customers would get a better tip than someone who just memorizes the “Welcome to Dunkin Donuts, What can I get for you today?” I believe that eccentricity enhances personality and that being eccentric accentuates who a person is. Others around them will either learn to appreciate it and relate to it or not will not be worth the time.

Everyone does at least one thing that others might find a little out of the ordinary, whether it’s as extreme as eating a Cap’n Crunch and Pixie Stick sandwich, or as simple as just being kooky and outgoing towards unfamiliar people. This, to me, shows that someone is perfectly happy with who they are, and aren’t hesitant to show it in any way.

I’ve moved a few times over the years, and making friends was always my number one issue. If there was one constant trend I noticed every time I started a new school, it would be that being myself earned me friends faster than keeping to myself. Being shy and quiet, it only takes longer to get to know people and vice versa. Being myself, being outgoing, and doing something noticeable, even if its in the form of something ‘weird’, doesn’t only allow me to make friends, but good ones at that; Ones that don’t mind my odd comments, jokes, and loudness.

Some will realize, like I have, not putting one’s personality completely forward will hold him/her back from making the most of things. By showing our eccentric sides, it is assured that people will be liked and respected for who they really are. From my experience at work, as well as countless others, I believe in eccentricity and that it is part of the backbone that makes up our true personalities.