To Create a Masterpiece, to Create an Identity

Rose - Fairhaven, Massachusetts

There are over six billion people in this world, and each and every one is different. Each one of us has the human ability to create, to sketch out our ideals, and to sculpt and form goals and dreams. We have an obligation to make our lives and the world into a masterpiece. I believe that each person has a right to express his or her individuality and find their own definition of success. The world of fashion and design allows people, like me, to show society just who we really are and define ourselves in the modern world. Fashion and art are positive outlets for expressing and defining oneself.

I began to take interest in the world of fashion when I was in 8th grade. I was inspired by the outrageous designs and styles I saw in the magazines, and the vivid colors and emotions depicted in each wild outfit fired up my own artistic passion. I began sketching out my own clothing designs and creating various brands, each pertaining to a different style. After saving up money for an entire year, I raised enough to buy a sewing machine, and I began to create the outfits I so fervently had sketched out.

As I sewed my first dress together, piece by piece, I began to play with the design, adding bits and pieces of fabric, tulle and lace here and there. After much hard work and labor, I put my completed red dress on and looked at myself in the mirror. It had come out exactly how I had pictured it; and, better yet, it truly was my own. I had created this masterpiece from scratch; I had given birth to it, starting with a mere pencil sketch and a pile of old material. I could barely believe that I had this amazing power at my fingertips, the power to create something beautiful and elegant, and, even better, the power to express who I was and what defined me.

As my interest in fashion grew and grew, I began to look at more work by professional designers. What seemed like a chic dress to an average person actually was a meaningful piece of art to the observant fashionista. The way each piece of fabric moved, flowed, felt, fused with the next piece—it all conveyed the deep emotions of the designers. The colors and cuts, all the little details of the works were angry, melancholy, hopeful, or crazed. There was no limit to the level of joy or rage or passion that could be underlying each masterpiece, and there was no such thing as a meaningless piece of art.

The qualities of fashion that I value are not only present in that medium, but also in the entire world of design. Each piece allows the artist to lead and create, to personalize their own work without any limits or boundaries. It allows people to transgress the standards of their predecessors and blaze their own path to success. I firmly believe in this way of human expression and exposition. Every human being has a right to be their own person, a right to be a very special individual in the six billion on planet Earth. Just as I believe in fashion and the world of art, I believe in originality, uniqueness, and identity.