What We Dream

Richard - Chesterfield, Missouri

What We Dream

We all know that we currently and will always face life challenges in our world. Sometimes we let these roadblocks stop and control us. This process starts to make us less aware of the things in the world that are pure and good. We start to contradict the goodness in the world and where we belong starting a chain of depression, one of which will constrict us of our freedom. As we fall deeper into depression we start to put our self into a deep, dark hole of depression. Sometimes these holes have a perpetual fall. As we keep falling into the abyss of our depression we become victims within ourselves and, depending on the circumstances, within the world around us. This could also take a toll on our social life. As we start to become more and more of a victim in ourselves we start to become lonely and we start to take on a life of solitude

I’ve had an experience with this type of depression. I was entering into the third grade when my parents got divorced. I thought that I was never going to be able to do anything about it and I was right but what I didn’t know was that good things were going to happen; I had just focused on all the things that would hurt me not help me. I had thought that I was the reason and I could’ve been but who knows for sure. Now, though, I’ve come to understand that I can’t do anything about it but it doesn’t mean I can’t learn from it. I’ve learned to accept, welcome, and learn from these experiences. Now I’m ready to take on other obstacles.

Divorce was only a bump in the road from my aspirations. It may have affected my life but it doesn’t mean it affected my dream. I can still reach my true aspirations if I focus on things great about the world. I was told an old Native-American story about a grandfather and his grandson. One night a man was telling his grandson about a tale of two wolves. “Two wolves were fighting,” he said. “One wolf represents the good in the world while the other represents all the bad in the world.” The grandson asks “Which one wins?” and man says “The one you feed.”

I always think about which wolf I want to feed and I strive to have an optimistic view of life. I’m not saying it won’t be hard but it will be worth it.