It Gets Easier

Greta - Chesterfield, Missouri

It Gets Easier

When I first came to America I had a really hard time fitting in at school. I did not know any English, and I felt scared and alone. A wise man once said “You’re never prepared for the moment that changes your life.” No one could help me; not even my parents. All I learned from this experience is that everything gets easier when you open up, and let people come close to you.

When I first started school I did not open up to anybody, or let anybody come close to me. I felt that nobody could understand what I was going through. I wanted to go back to my real home in Bulgaria.

On my first day of school I felt like running away. It seemed like school was never going to end. My teachers tried to be friendly and help me, but they couldn’t. For the first couple of weeks I cried, and I tried to run away from the teachers. I disliked all of the students in my class, and I had a feeling that they did not like me that much either. Time passed and I felt more alone then ever.

After time passed I realized that rejecting everyone was not going to help me. If I kept this up I would never make any friends. I would just be alone forever. I decided to try and be friendlier. I saw that when I opened up my life got easier. I did not have to hide who I really was anymore. I was not standing alone on the cliff anymore. I had a great family, and great friends that wanted me to be happier, and have a better life.

One day there was a new student in my first grade class. Her name was Riley. One afternoon my first grade teacher was reading to my class. When I looked up I saw that Riley was crying. Riley said that she missed her mom. I went to sit down by her, and I told her that everything was going to be okay. I believe that if you open up and let people come close to you, your life will be a lot easier.