The Underdog

Christian - Fairahven, Massachusetts

Whenever I think of the word underdog, I think that they have the most drive and motivation. I believe they will accomplish what everyone doubts they can. During my junior year my varsity soccer team qualified for the state tournament. We did so in our very last game. We were ranked 22 out of 23, and we had to face a higher seed in each playoff. When we got to the quarter finals we had to face the number three seed. They were supposed to be one of the best teams in our tournament and had one of the leading scorers. Being the underdog gave us the heart and determination to defeat the “superior” team and move on to the semifinals.

This has happened many times to many different people. The undefeated Patriots in the 2007 season made it to the Super Bowl, only to have their hopes destroyed by the wild card, New York Giants. This was impossible according to some, but not to me. The Giants had no pressure and nothing to lose, so they were able to do something no other team could. This is because they were the underdogs.

But not just in sports do the underdogs succeed, they do in life too. At birth, we are all born into family that can provide us with everything. Sometimes, we don’t all get what we want. As a product of a middle class working family, I don’t have as many opportunities as rich kids, who can buy what they want. I have to work for my wants and needs. I, too, know that I am better off than others who have no home or no family. I have a loving family and know where I will sleep every night. I also don’t worry about food or clothing knowing my family will take care of me as they can where as others have no families. Even though they are lower than me, with determination they can succeed and feel the true power of accomplishing their goals against eh odds and succeed as the underdog.

As far back as I can remember I have been an underdog. In little league sports I was an underdog because my family didn’t have a big name compared to others. For all-stars I would be overlooked even though I know I was better than most of the kids. I had to work and standout as much as possible just to get noticed. I think that because of being an underdog, it has made me a stronger person because I know what it means to work for something I want to obtain. I will succeed in anything I set my mind because I have more determination than others who don’t know the true meaning of being an underdog. I believe as the underdog, I will succeed in life.