Ashley - Fairhaven, Massachusetts

Adults always say, “You are just a kid; you don’t know what you want.” That was what I was told by my parents when I was younger. I disagree with that statement. We so-called “kids” do know what we want. We want to be happy, succeed in life, have the latest electronics, wear name-brand clothing, go against what adults tell us, and just fit in. Society is afraid of society though. We are all afraid of what everyone else has to say and what they think about us. And for this reason, I believe in having self-confidence.

Self-confidence is a major characteristic needed in oneself. Who ever said, “Let the best man win,” lied. You are the best man. Strive for what it is wanted in life and never look back to see who is laughing. I believe in the human mind. I believe it is a powerful thing that controls all actions. I believe the mind limits one’s ability and also creates its abilities. Everyone is different. Everyone lives his/her life the way he/she wants. I believe that those who mock others’ actions are very insecure.

When I was young, I would go shopping with my mom. Being frugal, she would force my sister and me to shop in stores that no one else in school would go in. As sixth and eighth graders, we were embarrassed to go to middle school without wearing the expensive clothing that everyone in high school was wearing. We liked our clothes, though, and they looked good on us. But not everyone else thought so. Our feelings got hurt, and we complained constantly to our parents that we didn’t have the right clothes to wear to school. That’s when my dad asked me why I cared about what others thought about my clothes. All I could answer was, “I don’t know.” The truth was I really didn’t know why I cared, probably because I wanted to be popular and in that clique that everyone wants to fit in with. That was when I realized having self-confidence was important.

People, who don’t have self-confidence, end up shutting down and then follow everyone else. They don’t become their own person and live their lives in the shadow of others. Be your own person and live for yourself. Have no regrets.

I try my best to live this way, it makes oneself stronger inside. When someone says something mean and untrue to me, it doesn’t bother me as much because I know what is factual. Being confident in myself, has allowed myself to strive for whatever I wanted to do or become. I never cared who was making fun of me behind my back. That’s why I believe in having self-confidence.