Working Hard

Daniel - Chesterfield, Missouri

Working Hard

Working hard is not something I want to do. I absolutely despise it, but when it came to my bar-mitzvah that was a different story. I believe you should work hard for everything you do.

Preparing for my bar-mitzvah was challenging. It was a lot of work I didn’t want to do. I had to go to my cantor which is a priest or singer two times a week to practice my torah portion and blessings. I also had a tutor once a week to make sure I was on track. After a couple of weeks I would say things like “Do I have to go? It’s so stupid.” My parents would always answer “Yes Daniel you have to go.” So I had to keep on fighting through it. It took a couple of weeks to finish my torah portion but that was just part one of many more to come. Next I had to learn my Haftorah which was easier but still hard. It was easier because there were vowels in it and it was shorter. It only took about three weeks to complete my Haftorah. The process then continued to writing a speech about my torah portion. I had to meet with my rabbi to see what my torah portion was about. The rabbi told me what it meant and then I had to take what information he gave me and write a speech about it. Just when I thought it was over I had to write a blessing to say in front of the arc. It was the last thing I had to do, thankfully. After I finished my blessing I had to say in front of the arc it was just memorization from then on. Then on October 27, 2007 it came day to go onto the bimah which is a podium or stage and go through my service. Mind racing and heart pounding, I started the service. I knew the all the hard work I put in would pay off. It took an hour and a half to get through the service. After the service with my heart pounding slower and mind more relaxed, I ate lunch. My parents told me what a great job I did that morning and they told me what I could accomplish if I give hard work every time. That is when I realized hard work pays off in the long run.

From getting bar-mitzvahed I learned to keep on fighting through things you don’t want to do and to work hard. It pays off in the long run. Believe me!