Second Chance

Nick - Chesterfield, Missouri
Themes: work

Although my grades, that are usually good, at one point got away from me. I have always been a very good student. This is one of the biggest lessons I have learned so far in my life.

School has never been something I have struggled in. Last year I just let my grades get away from me for a while. In that challenge science class I was tail spinning. I had a B- and I got a bad grade on a test and a project. I don’t know what happened to me. It was one of those times when you feel like you did well but the turnout doesn’t come out the way you think it will. I guess I didn’t take the assignments seriously or something. That would cost me; those two grades dramatically dropped my grade in that science class and dropped me out of challenge science. I always try to take school seriously. When my parents found out about this they freaked. When I handed my parents my report card, I saw the looks on their faces and then they said, “Nick, what is this?” They looked more serous than a drill sergeant. I was in trouble big time! They even thought about not letting me play any sports for the rest of the year. Good for me they didn’t. I was grounded for weeks. But they taught me a lesson. To take everything as seriously as it can be and to always try in school. I always want to get to the highest levels in my classes. It isn’t like the assignment was so hard because everybody else in my class did ok on it. Even though I was in regular science after that incident I still brought my grade back up to an A before the trimester ended.

Even though I know I’m not a bad student I think about this incident every time I do something academic wise. This experience will help me achieve in school and do better because I know what it feels like to fail or not do very well and I don’t like that feeling very well. That experience showed me I can overcome any hole I dig myself in at anytime. I don’t want to get myself in those holes in the first place. Anything can sneak past you like those assignments did to me. So keep your eye open for them. After this incident I believe I can do anything and take anything to the fullest extent if I take everything as serous as it can be.