Summer of 07 Spent with Grandparents

Chantras - USA
Themes: change

Summer of 07 Spent with Grandparents

At first I was skeptical about being away from home with such awkward strangers for such a long period of time; I soon warmed up to the idea of having a change in my life. My grandparents were strange because I had only visited them for a few days in the past; I had not actually slept over night for months at a time. They were my teachers, disciplinarians; and they were also intelligent. They told and showed me a lot. I no longer live life as a pessimist but as an optimist. I realized having a special relationship with your grandparents is important. It was the first time in years my grandma and I actually bonded. (Without a plastic smile, or a fake dull hug.) My grandparents unleashed a new world were there’s wasn’t hatred or lies, false pride, greed, regret, guilt, but in a world were there’s hope, dreams, love, humility, serenity, truth, and faith.

They showed love in their own special way, my mother warned me that my grandma was very strict growing up, so I tried to prepare myself, and in hopes she would be lenient on me, but they run a tight ship. Things had to be in order and in place all the time. (My mom is a clean freak too!) They didn’t tolerate mouthing off or sassy talk. We had to take daily showers and put our disgusting, dirty, foul clothes in the laundry room. (My brother would fake his showers.).They were very eager to teach me and my brother what ever they could, like how to sew, arts and craft, and cooking.

My grandparents never graduated from college, but my granddad is a computer programmer/operator (now that’s self taught.) He loved showing us thing on the laptop. (I think he was a bit of a show off at times.) My grandma worked off and on but mainly was a homemaker and is good with money and numbers. I’m proud of my grandparents. They have taught me a lot about life, and what to expect out of it. I believe they tried their best to prepare me. They are very important to me, and I love them and I all ways will. They taught me not to judge people are their life style. I am happy that I decided to come to Orlando Florida this summer. I’ll never forget the way my grandma’s house smelled, it was like a combination of sweet and pleasant fragrances perfectly mixed together, I also will never forget that enormous theater in there house; also my grandmas aged, soft hands. My trip has been a wonderful journey.