Dream It First

Alexa - USA

I look over at Lishka who is once again not doing what she is supposed to do. I have been in the same math class as her since 3rd grade and now it is 5th grade and she is still the same. She sits in class motionless staring at the ceiling probably thinking about what she is going to do when she gets home. Then I think to myself I am lucky that I was born with the desire to do something with my life; to achieve my goals.

I used to think that you were born with the desire to achieve goals that you were set to achieve that successful path, and nothing would drastically affect your journey to success.

Lishka always sat in class and did nothing. As if her only purpose in life was to take up space, but as I looked deeper than anyone else I knew that she could be a really successful. She was a blank page, but with no pen; no story. I could tell that she had a great story burning inside her. All she needed was a pen. I was going to be her pen to help her write her story.

I then decided to offer Lishka help and soon she started to show some interest. After a while though she just started to ask for answers to the math problems, but I was determined to help her. After a month of tutoring she started to finally understand the material we were working on in class, and I knew that she was ready for the next step. I knew that I had to keep Lishka focused. I couldn’t let her give up. She had already come so far. I had to keep her wanting to achieve her goal.

I then started to give her more challenging math problems and let her work on her own more. We spent another month doing this and then suddenly it all “clicked” for her. She finally under stood math, how to approach, how to solve, and how to test. Lishka finally understood that effort and hard work can make your dream come true.

I believe that in order to achieve goals you need to dream them first. You need to follow through with what you want to achieve and don’t give up, don’t give up, don’t give up. At the end of the trimester Lishka came up to me and said, “I have always dreamed of getting and A in math. Thank you for helping me.” So after all Lishka wasn’t just day dreaming about home during class, she was day dreaming about understanding math. From this experience I realized ambition is created not just given to you. I also realized you’re not just born with set goals. You have dreams and those dreams can turn into something really great!