Samantha - 63017, Missouri

All my life I have been raised to appreciate everything and everybody. The main thing was to always appreciate my family.

My family and I always did everything together things like going out to eat, having family dinners, plan little family gatherings. Then when my grandma died it start going down hill. It was like splitting a cookie in half. I had to listen to the arguing and the fighting that they did like everyday. It was like having two different families and could only talk to one side.

One day my cousin decided to go to the army which made my family some what come back collectively. We all decided to get together and plan a go away party. At my cousin’s house it wasn’t any fighting or any arguing at all what so ever. It was probably because we were sad that he was leaving. Some of the things that brought us back together was we kept calling each other and making sure he was alright. So we kept in touch with each other and him.

My cousin was still in Iraq and our family together didn’t last long. A year later my Auntie had a stroke. During her rehabilitation process our family wasn’t so tight anymore her daughters tried to get something over her, but nobody was letting it happen. Then they start getting into it again. It was just a big puzzle that has a lot of missing pieces.

By my family being like a big puzzle it made me realize that just because you don’t have something that you want doesn’t mean you can’t appreciate the stuff that you already have. My auntie was the one that taught me to appreciate everything that happens to me because anything that inters into my life is there for a reason. My value of appreciation has got so much stronger. I’m glad that I had somebody in my life to teach me something that important.