Tolerance

Samuel - Monona, Iowa
Themes: tolerance

The ability to tolerate other people it does not come automatic to everyone.

Have you ever heard someone say patience is a virtue? Well I think that tolerance is a virtue also. It comes to some people naturally, like me. Some people don’t have the ability to tolerate other people, they have to try. When people try and it doesn’t work out, they want to quit. I never quit. If I try really hard and it doesn’t work out, I keep trying. I will succeed sooner or later.

The reason I am writing this is because I never actually knew that I had a really good tolerance level until a teacher came up to me and told me. Then I knew I better write this essay on tolerance.

Shortly before he told me that I had a good tolerance level, he chewed a couple of kids out after they were making fun of a boy because the teacher asked the class the question, “When did you first realize when you weren’t going to get everything you wanted.”

One boy answered, “When I didn’t get a pony that I wanted.”

Some kids started to laugh and that included me. I don’t know why I was laughing. I guess because a lot of other people were laughing, including most of my friends. After the laughter ended was when the teacher started to chew us out. When he was yelling at us, I heard the message, but I don’t think a lot of other people did. I went home that night and I thought about it.

When I was thinking about what my teacher said, I realized that it happens around me all the time and I never realized it.

The message was that he didn’t like the fact that people were laughing at other people. That means students don’t feel safe answering questions if people are going to judge them, because they will be laughed at.

I never realized how hurtful this can be, but now I do and I think that it is really wrong. So, now, what I believe is that people should speak their minds and not worry what people are thinking about them. We are all made in different ways. If the world were all the same it would be a really boring world. I know that for a fact.

Go out, be different, make people look at you in a different way, because it is good, but make sure to speak your mind. Who cares what they think of you as long as you know what you are doing is right, and as long as you believe in it. If you try, anything can happen. Just never stop believing in what you think is true and what you think is right.

This is why I believe in tolerance and that no one should be afraid to speak their mind and not think what other people are thinking about them when they are speaking. I learned from this experience to always believe in what I think is right and to never, ever give up. No matter how hard I try and fail, I will keep trying to be more tolerant.