Freedom in Theatre

Kyle - Berkeley, California

I am free to be anything I want to be when I am performing onstage. I feel like I can I do anything on stage and nobody will judge me because of it. I am happy doing what I love.

One of my first stage performances that I remember is Once Upon A Pea. I remember the feeling of standing onstage with all the eyes in the audience looking at me. I remember standing backstage doing frantic costume and character changes, from the flowing robe and glamour of the Wizard to the cowboy and not-so-glamorous Sir Will. When I was standing on the stage, it felt good to have everybody looking at me. I felt happy and important.

I felt that I could be anything I wanted can express myself without anyone taking me too seriously. The reason for this is that I am playing somebody else. I am not telling my own story. Another reason I can express myself is because when I perform I have faith in myself so I do not feel embarrassed or nervous. Instead, I feel excited to share the story I’m telling with the audience.

My mom started her theatre company for me. and I already felt safe with her because she had been a great mom to me and she had started the theatre company for me. Before this theatre company started, I was in summer camps where we had to meet new people every two weeks. I got tired of the changing group of people and told my mom. Because of my frustration, my mom decided to start her own theatre company. I liked this new theatre company better because now I was with the same people for the entire time and I felt safe. I was also with people I liked being with and that felt fun. Another thing I liked was having my mom as the director. I started to really enjoy theatre after that. During this, I am learning about how much my mom loves me, because she is doing this for me.

I love acting because I have freedom. I do not have to worry about what other people think. I think that people should be able to feel safe doing something they enjoy. If someone loves something, they should continue it. People should feel okay about doing something they love and not have to worry about other people’s opinions. It is important for people to feel safe. Knowing they are safe makes people happy, and it is good for people to feel happy because they feel there is a reason for what they are doing, joy.