Imagination is Staying Young

Jamie - Butte, Montana

I believe that writing is part of a person’s imagination. Stories that are fiction and even nonfiction are filled with events that make our minds swirl and sway with curiosity. Imagination is so important because it keeps the mind young and helps the soul flow through life like the white-capped waves on the sea.

When I was younger, instead of speaking my imagination with my voice, I wrote it down on a piece of paper so I could change my story whenever I wanted. Writing has allowed me to see the beauty of imagination. Writing has allowed me to speak my voice, thoughts, feelings, and beliefs when they are too hard to physically express. The horror of losing imagination lingers in my deepest fears. Losing my imagination means getting old. I will never get old as long I can write.

I wrote short stories all the time when I was in grade school. I would express myself with a pencil and paper every day. I would write in diaries about my daily activities and juice them up by adding silly and unreal events. As I grew up and set out for the high school scene, it seemed that I had lost some of my imagination. I no longer composed stories for fun, but rather for assignments in my classes.

I started getting back into writing when I was a senior in high school. My English Compensation class had a lot of research papers included within the criteria to teach us how to avoid plagiarism. My favorite paper in this class was a descriptive essay. I was able to use my imagination instead of research to complete this assignment. I chose to write about an eerie, abandoned cabin that is in the woods by my home in Butte, Montana. Everyone who read my essay fell in love with its intensity and its ability to draw in the audience. It was during this assignment that I became reconnected with my writing and reunited with my imagination.

I have found that writing assignments, such as a research project, can sometimes make a writer lose imagination. Then there are some papers that allow writers to express themselves on paper and explore their deepest thoughts and the most powerful imagination that they possess. I am thankful that I learned this life lesson because otherwise I would have lost my imagination forever and become an unhappy, wrinkly, old woman.