What the 2009 presidential inoguration meant to me

Jared - saint louis, Missouri

This I believe

What did the inauguration mean to me?

For me the inauguration meant exactly what it has always stood for… The opportunity for America to become a better nation. Obama is expected to to change everything, Address the world with a new eye and a new way of looking at things. However I do not like when I hear people saying that this was Dr. Martian Luther king Jr’s dream, that this is what he saw. Just because Obama is president that doesn’t change hoe things are (racially). I think we should consider that a little less than half the country voted against the man. Meaning that a little less than half the country was not ready for this. This does not mean that we as a people have reached “the promise land” That I’ve heard so much about, that Martian Luther king jr spoke about. Saying that we have a “Black president” does not mean that we are saying “I am ready for the change”. What change! The presidency has a brown face… whoopty freakin do! It takes the people that make up the nation to make “the change” Not the “nation”. We cannot say that because our president is “black” we have crossed the color barrier! That barrier shouldn’t have been there in the first place. Crossing an obstacle that you created for yourself does not deserve a pat on the back it deserves a “bout time!” It deserves a “finally!” We still (as a people) have a long way to go, before we can claim this “victory”. I think Dr.Martain Luther king jr. said what his dream was, and that he saw the promise land. If this was his dream then when Obama was elected there would be some change. But just as every other inauguration nothing happened. The dream is (I think) still in the making. We haven’t reached the promise land its’ just off in the horizon. I’m not saying that it isn’t going to happen or that we aren’t going to get there. I’m just saying “We are not there yet”, and we shouldn’t be taking the back seat just because we think we’re there. There is still work to be done. And still such a long way to go, we can’t stop here we need to keep going and one day we will arrive.