The Convenience of Indecision

Elizabeth - hughesville, Pennsylvania

After browsing a couple of the This I Believe stories and trying to think up one of my own, I was at a loss. I could not decide what to write about. I had no clue what I believed in. I didn’t want my story to be a monumental or sappy story, nor did I want it to be overly silly or pointless. I haven’t lived a long enough life to have an amazing story to tell.

So, I have realized that I believe in the convenience of indecision. Indecision is defined as the inability to decide on a course of action, especially if two or more possibilities exist. “Come on, make a decision. You have to make a decision.” How many times have you heard that? When in truth, you don’t always have to make a decision. In my opinion, some things are better left just going with the flow. Life is supposed to be a surprise, is it not? Some of the best things in life have happened to all of us, when we were not expecting them or when things did not turn out as planned. Granted, there are times that it is necessary to make a decision, “Will you marry me?” “Where do you want to go for college?”, etc. I just truly believe that most “important decisions” are net very important at all. “Where should we go to dinner” “Should we rent a movie or go to the theater”. So many people place such emphasis on making these decisions.

You may call me apathetic. Actually the dictionary defines apathy as “A state of indifference” as well as “showing little or no emotion.” Indecision for me is not emotionless. What we have for dinner or whether we rent or go to a movie is not a concern for me, since i will be happy with either decision. Why expect me to chose when either way, I will not be disappointed. I will let these “important decisions” to the people that it really matters to.

For me, I have made my decision, and indecision is the way to go.