Building Peace

Aeden - Bainbridge Island, Washington
Themes: peace

Building Peace

Grade schools are weird. Lot of kids of different ages and personalities. There are bullies, shy kids, geeks, and jocks all mixed into one building ranging in age between five and eleven years old. It was easy to fall into a trap of hanging out with my three best friends. You know, the one on the bus, the one I sat next to in Ms. Lee’s third grade class and then my best friend who I played with at every recess. These were my buddies and my safe group. I could be content all day long just hanging out with these guys. It would be easy to stay in a routine and just hang out with these three all the time. But I don’t.

It’s not that I’m looking for something else or for something more. It has more to do with wanting to be there for people.

One day I was getting on my bus after school. It was the usual havoc. Kids running around, chasing down their friends, looking frantically for their bus notes and basically running into each other all while trying to get on the right bus. To the kindergarten kids this must have seemed like a busy city cross walk or traveling in a foreign country. Ten yellow busses all looking the same, kids all taller, bigger, smarter and meaner than you. I happened to look out the window as I was sliding down next to my bus-buddy Greg when I saw a small girl crying. She was a girl I recognized from my route and she looked confused. I told the bus driver to wait and ran out to the girl who didn’t know what bus she was supposed to be on. I took her hand and walked with her to our bus and then sat next to her until she reached home. Even though no one saw it or acknowledged it, I still felt like I had made a difference. By looking out for each other we learned to respect and care for each other.

Maybe this act didn’t solve world peace but if everyone looked out the window to see how they could help, our world would be a happier place. I believe that we can all look for ways to help and for ways to improve our world. These things can be small little things but if each of us did something to build a better place and to build better relationships we could have world peace. In Obama’s inauguration address he said, “People will judge you on what you can build, not what you destroy.” I choose to build good karma. I choose to be a person who is a good friend, a good team mate and a good leader. I believe in building peace.