Long Lost

Alisa - Sammamish, Washington

Everyone has had to endure hardship in their lives. Hardship can be defined as anything from spraining an ankle to losing a loved one. Without hardship, there would be no meaning in life; nothing to overcome, and nothing to challenge each and every one of us. Even if we face problems and want to run away, we need to realize that there is a way to endure that problem, no matter what the circumstance is. The most important part though, is to be able to consider the opportunities and grasp the chance of moving forward. People need to recognize and understand the past but also be able to continue on their lives without turning back. I believe in the future.

In eighth grade, one of my best and only friend lived a walking distance away from me. We were always together. Nothing could have torn us apart, or so we thought. After awhile, she had observed some odd behaviors in me. She must have thought that I was slowly walking away from her life. Nothing had changed; I still respected her. Later in my eighth grade year, I realized how bad of a problem it had become. Before I got a chance to make anything better between us, she cut off our friendship.

Not just her, but everyone around me started to back away. I wanted to run away and cry. As I was going to school one morning, I caught sight of a dog fetching a ball. Then I realized the importance of moving forward and forgetting the past. Like the dog, I saw that I had to focus on what is ahead of me rather than behind me. I knew right then that I needed to not stress about what had already happened but instead chase after my dreams and goals. I managed to continue moving forward despite how much I hurt inside.

Now I understand how important it is to keep my head up and continue moving forward. I need to stay strong and keep my feet intact in the present. I will keep walking no matter what happens to me. I will never look back. We need to know that there is always a way to achieve our dreams. We need to know that it is important to accept and realize mistakes made in the past and to never look back.

This, I believe.