This I Believe: Ugly Dogs? Snobby Blondes?

Shana - San Marino, California
Themes: equality

In movies, the blondes are always popular, the jocks always get the girl, and the skinny nerd is always a pariah. Original. I believe that appearances can be deceiving and that someone should judge a person by his/her personality, character, and the quirky traits that make someone special. I have learned this through meeting someone new and when getting a new pet.

I was twelve, and that was when my friend introduced me to Natalie, a blonde-haired, blue-eyed girl whose parents were wealthy. I immediately judged her, thinking that she was a stuck-up, snobby girl who thought she was the best thing in the world. However, then I actually spent the time with her; we shopped together, watched movies, and just talked. I realized that Natalie had a lot more things to offer beneath the surface: she cared more about her friends than anyone I knew, has a heart of gold, and would die for anything Panic! At The Disco [a band] related. After knowing her for more than a year, she has become one of my best friends. I learned from her that even though someone might look like something on the outside, you never really know whom that person is until you get to know him/her. I also learned that appearances can be deceiving; for example, an ugly shoe could turn out to be the one that is most comfortable. I used the lessons I learned when choosing my dog.

One year, my during Christmas vacation, my dad decided to get a dog for my sister and me. We went to the breeder’s house and saw the last two Golden Retriever puppies that were left. One puppy was slightly cuter than the other. My sister wanted to cuter one: “The other one is weird!” is what she said as she petted the cuter one. I observed “the other one”, and found myself giggling at how she was behaving. I told my dad that we should get the less cute one. He grimaced and asked why. I told him to simply watch. My dad observed how the less cute one was stumbling across the yard and hiding under her father’s belly. My dad asked the breeder if we could “the other one”, to my sister’s dismay. Now, the other one has grown into the cutest dog that I have ever seen, not to mention the most faithful. She has made my sister and me laugh, happy, and even a little mad. Through this experience I learned that, once again, appearances can be deceiving. The present wrapped in ugly paper could turn out to be amazing. And, every now and then, I always gloat over the fact that I was the one who chose our dog.

In life, we always judge people by their appearances. People judge the new kid, their teacher, and their boss, people whom they have never really talked to. However, people should learn to not judge someone so quickly when they first meet him/her. If the world would give people chances, they might find out surprising things that they never would have known by judging them. So, the next time you meet someone new, try getting to know him/her first before making assumptions.

I believe that people, or even dogs, should not be judged by their appearance, and that appearances can be deceiving. Who knows, maybe one day, in movies, the blonde has a brain, the jock loves to read, and the nerd goes to parties every weekend!