My First Big Mistake

Sammi - Idaho Falls, Idaho

It seems that in every family, parents always say, “Don’t do that learn from my mistakes.” Through hearing this phrase every time I made a single action, I have realized you really can’t learn through others mistakes; you have to learn through your own.

As for me I’ve always been told to study because at some point in my life school would no longer come easy for me and then I wouldn’t know what to do. But, I never believed it because I just thought that that little incident was something that only happened to my parents. So all I did was go to my classes and do the work they told me to do. I figured that this was how it always would be.

Now in my ninth grade year of school, I started going through many changes. I was now a cheerleader, my life was becoming a bigger social party by the minute, and school had finally gotten more difficult. But with going to practices everyday, cheering at games, going to gymnastics, and still hanging out with my friends, I still continued to de the same old routine.

As the first semester of high school went by, my grades were not staying steady. With them dropping slowly, I had no clue what to do. So I just kept tying harder in my classes but it wasn’t working well enough. Now with worrying about my grades, my stress level was up to my head. My grades were like a tidal wave up and down, up and down. By the end of my semester I had made up some work, retook some tests, and sis all the extra credit that I could.

The day I finally got my report card back, I really didn’t look at the letter grades; my first thought was on my GPA. So slowly going over the paper, I saw that I had finally raised it to a 3.1. Now I know this was not the best I could have done, but I am still proud of myself because I consider this to be the point in my life when from now on, I will have to study.

So in the end I should have took my parents advice in mind, but at the same time I needed to learn for myself because otherwise I might have gone all through high school studying and doing everything as perfect as could be, and then at the worst time decided that I really didn’t need to keep trying so hard and made the worst mistake that now I have already past. So I have learned my lesson and at the current time I have good grades, study for tests, and still have my regular life to go with it.