The Power of LIfe

Danyelle - LaSalle, Colorado
Themes: setbacks

I believe in the power of life. Life is a precious item that you can never get back once it’s gone. I believe in the in life because my best friend, when I was younger, committed suicide. His name was Deacon Porter and he was 23. He was always full of life and energy. Deacon was also an amazing softball player and fun to be around. I could tell him anything, and he would keep it a secret. He would always ask me for my opinion on the girls he dated, and if I did not like them, he would not bring them around when I was there. Deacon always said that I was going to be a heartbreaker and once I was old enough, we were going to get married.

Then one day, my step-dad, Carl, got a phone call from Deacon’s brother Chris. Carl was pretty happy to see that Chris was calling him. He answered the phone with a smile on his face, but that only lasted about five seconds. For quite a while, while still on the phone, Carl had a sad look on his face. After he hung up the phone, he looked at my mom and I could see tears running down his face. He and mom went into another room and a couple seconds later, I heard mom start to cry. They would not tell me what was going on but I had a gut feeling that something terrible had happened.

A few days later, while sitting in computers with my fifth grade class, my grandma comes and pulls me out of school early. I still had no idea what was going on until we got to Deacon’s parent’s house. That’s when my parents sat me down and told me that Deacon was no longer with us. I did not really understand at first, but once I did, I refused to believe it was true and thought that it was just a bad joke.

When I ran into that backyard to find Deacon, I realized it was not a joke. I looked around, and all I could see was Deacon’s friends and family crying and looking at pictures of him. Chris comes up behind me, turns me around, and hugged me. When he let go, he looked me in the eyes and said” Dany, Deacon loved you very much and never wanted to hurt you.” All I could do was say, “Too late” and started crying. The rest of that night, people I did not know where coming up to me and telling me how much I ment to Deacon. And every time, all I could say was, “Thank you”, when I really wanted to ask,” Then why did he leave me?”

I did not realize how much a part of my life Deacon was until he was gone. I mean, I would see him almost everyday, but now that is gone, and I had no one to tell my secrets to or to play stupid games with, because he and I are the only ones who know how to play them. To this day, there are few day that I do not sit on my bed and wonder why.

This experience opened my eyes to how important and priceless life really is. Because of Deacon Porter, I realize that we all only have this one life and to live it up while we have to chance. Deacon could have gone on with his life and done great things, but he decided to let one bad sedition ruin everything. And because of that one desition, he left the ones he loved and those who love him still asking why to this day. Deacon Porter is the reason I believe in the power of life.