Writing to Preserve Sanity

Kimberly - Kalispell, Montana

I believe that writing has kept me sane.

When I can’t quite figure out what exactly it is I want to say, I turn to writing. When I write, somehow it is easier to communicate what it is I am trying to say. If I speak it, it doesn’t come out right—it doesn’t make sense, or I just keep saying “I don’t know” over and over again until I think I’ve reached a conclusion.

Writing makes it easier to say what needs to be said. If I need to say something that is really emotional for me, I get it out more easily when I write it down than if I were to say it out loud.

When I have a thousand things running through my head, and I can’t make any sense of it, and I can’t think—but at the same time I can’t stop thinking—and I feel like I am literally losing my mind—writing saves me. It jumps to the forefront of my mind and I know immediately what I have to do. When things get to be a little too much for me to handle mentally, I snatch up my journal and my lovely turquoise colored pen and get to writing.

I only recently started my first real journal. It seems that lately I’ve had even extra on my mind, and as a way to help sift through all of it, a friend purchased a journal for me in hopes that it would help me figure it all out.

How I write in it is entirely up to me. I skip entire pages so I can start writing on a completely different thought. It’s easier than if I were to talk to someone. The journal doesn’t judge, doesn’t think I’m silly, or immature, or nuts. The journal listens unlike anything else in the world. No matter the time, the subject, or the emotion, the journal sits with an open mind, waiting for me to release all of my inner turmoil, daily happenings, random thoughts, and peculiar insights of the world. And only through writing is this able to happen.

Writing is the ultimate therapy. Without it, I would be a severely tormented person. But because of it, I am able to communicate what I am thinking, release my emotions, and sort through my deepest, darkest thoughts. I believe that writing is the reason why I have maintained my sanity.