Marshall - Idaho Falls, Idaho

The scandal of droopy drawers, often called “sagging” or “low-riding” has been experienced across the nation. Some states have taken it into serious account, such as Louisiana, and will fine or even arrest people for “indecent exposure“, if their underwear is showing.

In my school, this is very common among the boys and some girls. Most of the boys wear their pants right above or on the hips. Some though, “ride” lower, often on their hips, including myself. Teacher and parents, or anyone past their twenties often laugh and tell us it’s stupid, looks funny, or is sick and keep telling us to pull them up. Bottom line is, we get in trouble for it.

So what happened to freedom of speech? If this country is viewed as a independent, and free country, then wouldn’t they let us dress the way we like? Look back at the seventies and eighties; they had unbelievably ridiculous clothing, that defiantly showed more than underwear! And what did their parents say back then? Most likely the same thing they are telling us right now.

Also, isn‘t the definition of “indecent exposure” getting a little broad? Getting a glimpse at someone’s boxers shouldn’t upset the common person. People see much more around swimming pools and magazines. If people get offended, why don’t they just see it as a flaw of personality? Everyone’s got a different opinion of how to wear something and if it looks good. Older and younger generations often clash with how and what to wear, with their opinion on decency often very different. Being able to accept something even if you view it as wrong, in my opinion, is one of the most important concepts of life.

I believe that people should be able to dress how and as they please, as long as it stays in the boundaries of the law and decency(which would be without exposing or showing great detail of private parts). I believe that laws making it not possible to dress as you wish should be removed. I believe that people should not be hypocritical of something as little as someone’s clothing and how they where them. I believe in equality.